MENU
Our Doctor-Nurse teams work with women to educate and empower them to make the best health decisions possible.
Request an appointment

Dr. Acosta Announces Retirement

dr. acosta women's health specialistsAs 2017 will undoubtedly be a year of new beginnings and positivity, it also marks the time that we announce the retirement of Dr. Ernesto Acosta.  He has been a familiar, kind and knowledgeable asset not only to the Women’s Health Specialists practice, but to the Fox Valley community as well.  His expertise and balanced approach will be missed by co-workers and patients.  Below is an excerpt from his retirement letter that was mailed to recent patients:

“After a very fulfilling 35 years with Women’s Health Specialists, I am announcing my retirement.  I have recently had bypass surgery and have decided to devote my time to my recovery.  I started my OB/GYN practice in the Fox Cities in July of 1982 and I cherish the time I have spent with my patients and professional colleagues.  I am so thankful to my patients for entrusting their care to me during this time, something I consider to be both an honor and a privilege.

I encourage my patients to select a new physician within the Women’s Health Specialists team, as I have been fortunate to have incredibly skilled OB/GYN physicians as partners and have taken measures to ensure a smooth transition to any one of them.”

Dr. Acosta served as a mentor to several physicians that would join Women’s Health Specialists during his time here, helping them become familiar with processes and advocating the patient centered care that Women’s Health Specialists strives to achieve.

“I joined Women’s Health Specialists right out of residency, and Dr. Acosta was someone that had been here for 10 years,” recalls Dr. Jeffery Cherney, physician with Women’s Health Specialists.  “He was someone that I could turn to with questions and shared similar views with when it came to patient care.  He’s been a very hardworking physician, and I hope he spends plenty of time with his family and doing things for himself during his retirement.”

As a fun tribute to Dr. Acosta, we’ve gathered stories from those who have known him over the years.  He will absolutely be missed at Women’s Health Specialists, and we wish him the best during this next chapter in his life.

dr. acosta obgynDr. Acosta’s patient Crystal shares:

“Dr. Acosta delivered me in 1986, and later my younger sister.  When I was 16, it was an easy choice to start seeing him for my well woman exams; and I found that he always listened to my concerns, made me feel comfortable with his sense of humor and was straightforward with my care.  Then in 2014 when I found out I was pregnant, I was so excited that he would be delivering my baby – how remarkable that the same doctor that delivered me would also deliver my little one!  Having had him as my OB/GYN for almost 15 years already, I also felt fortunate to have a physician that I truly trusted as I transitioned into motherhood and really appreciated the consistency in care I had received.

My mom also felt I was in great hands during my pregnancy, knowing firsthand the incredible care Dr. Acosta provided.  We feel like we have such a special bond, having gone through one of the biggest moments in our lives, 29 years apart, with the same doctor by our side.  I’m sad he won’t be able to deliver my second when the time comes, as he’s the only OB/GYN I’ve ever had, but am grateful for having him as long as I did.”

Dr. Acosta’s nurse Molly shares:

“When we first moved to the Fox Valley over 10 years ago and were meeting people they would ask what I did.  I would share that I worked for Women’s Health Specialists as Dr. Acosta’s nurse, and so often the response was, “Oh he’s my doctor” or “He delivered my kids” that you’d think he delivered half the babies in the Fox Valley!  As an OB/GYN he was so level headed and hardworking, two things that really made patients feel calm and confident in his care.”

ThedaCare Labor and Delivery nurse Kristin shares:

“I worked with Dr. Acosta for 19 ½ years in Labor and Delivery.  Being a girl that loves fashion, I always appreciated Dr. Acosta’s sense of style.  Some of the waves of fashion that come to mind include his alligator shoes, his man purse, his fur coat, his bow tie phase and his suspenders.  But no matter what the phase, he always rocked it! And, he always had THE best ties.”

ThedaCare Labor and Delivery nurse Adrienne shares:

“I worked with Dr. Acosta for 17 years in Labor and Delivery, and from early on I learned that he was a physician that was the perfect mix of having a low intervention, hands-off approach to each of his laboring patients  and of using interventions (C-sections, etc.) when needed.  That nice middle ground approach is also the reason I chose him for my OB/GYN for my pregnancies and deliveries.  He was patient with the labor process and honored his patients’ desires as long as it kept both mom and baby safe.  He was never “quick to cut” and when that decision was made, everyone (nurse, patient, family) was in agreement with his decision.”

Posted By Women's Health Specialists on January 3, 2017

39 Responses to Dr. Acosta Announces Retirement

Myoshi (Lind) Ferg says: January 4, 2017 at 1:41 pm

He delivered my first son who unfortunately was born too soon in 1983. But delivered my other four
Trista 7/2/84
Jenna 3/7/86
Beau 9/19/87
Shane 5/23/89.

He also was a second opinion that SAVED my youngest sister B.Bax from Cervical cancer when she was 16.
Brilliant Man. Soul of a Saint. Hands that were a Gift.
Retirement will be a joy.
Forever emblazened in my Heart.
T.Y.
Myoshi (Lind) Ferg

Andrea Ludwig says: January 4, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Dr. Acosta I have no idea what I would have done without you through 3 endometriosis surgeries in 5 years and because of you I was still able to give birth to my two sons. For you I will be forever grateful. Enjoy your retirement! It is way beyond deserved! You will forever have a special place in my heart and obviously many others as well. Thank you for all that you did for me and my family.

Connie Wheeler says: January 4, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Dr. Acosta delivered my 3 children all via C-section. Not what I expected to happen but with my first, I couldn’t dialate after 22 hours of labor. I trusted Dr. Acosta with each delivery. I will miss seeing him there. Enjoy your retirement, you definitely deserve it. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Beth Berge says: January 4, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Dr Acosta cared for me through 3 pregnancies. His knowledge, concern and bedside manner was fenominal! Although pregnancy 1, ended in a late miscarriage his kindness and compassion was so comforting. In pregnancy 2, my pregnancy turned high risk when my daughter was diagnosed with a severe birth defect ( Congenital diaphragmatic hernia) at our 20 week ultrasound. Not only did he help me through the trail of losing a babe, but stood with us through the roller coaster ride for the 2nd. He calmed my nerves as we met with a never ending stream of specialists especially finding out that my daughter had to be delivered at children’s in Milwaukee. I so had hoped that after all he had helped us though, he could finally deliver baby number three. Well once we set an induction date and he announce he would be back from vacation, little miss decided she wasn’t going to wait. Although he never was able to deliver my babies, he was with me though many happy and dark times. Truly a great man and I’m so lucky to have had him as a physician!

Shari Griesbach says: January 4, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Dr. Acosta made us laugh and told us to hurry and get that baby out because Donald Driver was about to win Dancing With the Stars and not only did Donald win that night- Maverick was born at 7:01.

Paula Skitch says: January 4, 2017 at 6:11 pm

I worked with Dr. Acosta in the operating room at Groth Surgery Center. He was always pleasant, friendly and respectful. His patients loved him. Congratulations on your retirement Dr. Acosta. Enjoy life and family.

mary kay koller says: January 4, 2017 at 6:19 pm

My first 2 children were delivered by c-section by Dr C Dungar. However by the time I was pregnant with baby #3,Dr C Dungar no longer delivered babies(due to the high cost of malpractice insurance.) So I found Dr. Acosta. Due to previous C-sections, I also had a planned C-section with baby #3. During a C-section you need the doctor and the assistant. Dr C.Dungar could still be the assistant. So my C-section was planned for aug 20th 2016. My first 2 children were boys. The whole world was hoping baby # 3 would be a girl. I did not care one way or the other, just a healthy baby. I am a nurse,so I knew doctors and anesthesiologist. (so I knew who the best were!) I chose my anesthesiologist for all 3 of my C-sections. This anesthesiologist looked at my palm(like a palm reading) and promised me baby #3 would be a girl.Well aug 20th,2016,there I was in the operating room,all ready,but Dr C Dungar never showed up to assist. He forgot(I always called him the absent minded professor) Dr Acosta had to have someone else be the assistant. When Dr Acosta pulled out baby #3, he said “congratulations, you have another boy..” I was so thrilled,another healthy baby. The anesthesiologist said,”no I promise you girl,It’s a girl” I left the operating room not knowing if I had a girl or a boy. Her name is Amy Beth. I think Dr Acosta was so concerned about
making sure all went well with the C section,that he saw the umbilical cord,and mistook it for another body part. Hee Hee. But seriously,Dr Acosta is such a professional,dignified,amazing man. He has had such an influence in my life and that of the entire patient population he served. “Well done my good and faithful servant” as the bible says. You deserve your retirement. You will be missed,but never forgotten. Thank-you for all you have done.

Ellen Schwab says: January 4, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Dr. Acosta delivered both my girls and has been a great physician through the years for all my women well care visits, you will be greatly missed! Enjoy your retirement it is well deserved!

Vickie Stoeger says: January 4, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Congratulations. You delivered my fist one when I was 19 you were my doctor through all my good times and hard times I’m now 60. You are the best Have a wonderful retirement. I will miss you dearly

Crystal Wall says: January 4, 2017 at 7:15 pm

Thank you, Dr. Acosta, for everything you had helped me with throughout my pregnancy! What a gift to be able to deliver babies into this world! You are appreciated by many, and I wish you well in the future!

Jennifer Worm says: January 4, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Dr. Acosta delivered my first son in 2005, helped me through a miscarriage and several issues and recently helped me set up a plan to have one more child. I had a positive pregnancy test November of 2016 and then learned that Dr. Acosta was retiring! I was definitely bummed by the news but very grateful that he was always there for whatever needs came up! He was a wonderful doctor!!!

Sheila Dorsett says: January 4, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Dr. Acosta was my OB/GYN for the last 31 years. He delivered both my girls who are now 26 and 27. It saddened me greatly with tears rolling down my face when I found out the news. He was very good to me as a patient always knowing who I was when he walked in the door. We were very open with our conversations with some laughs too. I will miss Dr. Acosta very much and hope to see him again some day and I wish him a happy and healthy retirement as he had helped so many.

Becky Krings says: January 4, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Congratulations Dr. Acosta!! You are a phenomenal Doctor. Thanks for seeing me through 4 pregnancies/births. Enjoy your well deserved retirement.

MaryAnn Unger says: January 4, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Moved to Appleton in 1988 with 5 kids and Dr. Acosta was my dr. for our next 6 as well as a miscarriate. He was not only a great doctor, but a great man. He truly cared about his patients, mother, child, and dad, too. I always looked forward to my visits knowing that he took time to ask about my kids and to tell me what was going on with his. He also was the dr for one of my daughters and was compassionate and reassuring when she experienced an ectopic pregnancy and other miscarriages. I am saddened to hear about his bypass, but glad that he is choosing to focus on his health and to take time to enjoy his family. Wish him only the best in the years to come. He was the best and will be missed in the practice.

Patti Ebben says: January 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Amazing kind brilliant man . In 1982 was one of his fist Appleton patients. Married six years, I was worried about getting and staying pregnant. He helped guide our health to my beloved miracle son Dan’s full term healthy happy uneventful birth in 1984.
In 1992 I had complications with fibroids. Dr. Acosta performed an amazing hysterectomy. I recovred to feel better than ever. THANK YOU.
I wish you a spectacular retirement. Nameste! ♡

Karla Stelzer says: January 4, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Always a treat doing surgery with him. I wish him the very best in his retirement. Retire those red surgical shoes and put on your dancing shoes. Enjoy!! 😁

Jennifer Ehlbeck says: January 4, 2017 at 9:50 pm

Dr Acosta~
I cannot thank you enough for the care you have given me through out the delivery of our three children and for the compassion you showed my husband and I through the miscarriage we had suffered. You are an incredible doctor! Best wishes to you and your family. Sending love, Chris, Jeny, Paetyn, Easton and Lily Ehlbeck

Aimee Froze says: January 4, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Dr. Acosta has been my OB/GYN for the last 18 years. he delivered both of my boys and has gone through so much with me over the years. While I am incredibly sad he will not be my doctor anymore, I feel so blessed to have been able to have him for as long as I did. Dr. Acosta, I wish you the very best and thank you for everything you have done!!

Jeanette Baerwald says: January 4, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Dr Acosta Delivered our 22 year old daughter on 4/14/94. On her 21st birthday I was Ballroom Dancing with Ernie. Amazing how life takes full circles… :)
Dr. Acosta was the first Dr to “tell me like it is” when I needed it-Love you Dr Ernie Acosta. Happy Retirement!

Melissa Troiber says: January 4, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Dr. Acosta became my doctor when I miscarried my first baby in 1998. A year later he delivered my daughter Shaina who turns 18 at the end of the month. Her sister came 2 years later. With both pregnancies I was overdue, but Dr. Acosta had come in during his vacation to deliver them both. I called last week to make an appointment, but was sad to hear he had retired. I wanted to show him the beautiful young ladies my daughters turned out to be. Good Luck to you Dr. Acosta!! Enjoy your retirement!!

Hailey says: January 4, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Thank you Dr Acosta for delivering my twins. You made a scary and stressful time for me easier by the confidence you had. After delivering my daughter successfully you completed and emergency c-section on me to deliver my son. Something I will never forget is after 2 weeks In the NICU we went home as a family and I had a stack of medical papers of each baby and the chart notes. As I was reading through my sons I discovered he was delivered lifeless and was worked on for 3 minutes before he started breathing, Dr Acosta was a professional; he never bothered telling me this because it would have brought stress to me. You were such an amazing Dr!
Good luck in your recovery, wish you the best.
Hailey

Melissa Warning says: January 4, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I tried to become pregnant for 5 years, it is because of Dr. Acosta and his fertility knowledge that we have our daughter and son. He had to do a procedure that was very painful and my husband wanted to leave the room. But, Dr. Acosta told him he had to stay and see what I was going through to have his child. He was there for both deliveries and helped calm me when it was determined that our second delivery should be an emergency c-section. We will forever be grateful

Joanie Doucette says: January 4, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Dr Acosta delivered 2 of my 3 children . I just loved him. I wish him much happiness in his retirement . God Bless

Sara Wilcox says: January 5, 2017 at 6:21 am

Dr. Acosta delivered both of my children : 1992 and 1993. He also did my hysterectomy and pelvic repairs 5 years ago! He is a very talented doctor with a wonderful compassion for his patients! Best of luck in your retirement!

Ina (Brahe) Montgomery says: January 5, 2017 at 7:30 am

I remember when Dr. Acosta first started at AMC. He is a wonderful doctor and will be missed by many. Thank you for all of your years of service and delivering 2 of my three boys.

Congratulations on your well deserved retirement.
Ina

Minka Denney Greely says: January 5, 2017 at 8:01 am

Dr Acosta is an AMAZING Dr……not only for his knowledge but also for his caring way. I don’t think Ive ever been as comfortable with a dr as I was with him. He delivered both of my children. I had complications with my first born and he was very honest with me regarding what good happen…..I wound up having an emergency c section. Because of Dr Acostas knowledge and quick thinking…..my son is healthy and will be 30 this year. I was very blessed to have him as my ob/gyn. Enjoy your retirement Dr Acosta! You have earned it!

Kristina says: January 5, 2017 at 9:36 am

I will miss Dr. Acosta’s calm and cool bedside manner, his humor and his amazing fashion sense. I wish he could remain my doctor forever but wish him enjoyment in retirement. I’m glad to have had him through the births of my children! God bless Dr. A!!!

Cindy Endres says: January 5, 2017 at 10:24 am

Dr.Acosta delivered my son on Halloween of 1992. All through my pregnancy appointments it was such a fun time going in to see him. He was just the nicest, kindest doctor ever with a sense of humor like you wouldn’t believe. He made you feel like you were the most important patient when he was with you and truly cared about your well being. He went on to deliver my 2 nephews and niece and many of our friends babies due to our high recommendation of him. Your shoes will be hard to fill and you will be truly missed!!! Good luck in your retirement and prayers are being sent your way for a speedy recovery and a happy healthy life.

Donna Zuleger says: January 5, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Dr Acosta delivered my son in the December blizzard of 1985! I made it to my delivery room but I was frozen! No OGYN’s were on staff and Dr Acosta WALKED to the hospital in that blizzard to deliver my son! I will never forget his furry coat and the furry boots he walked in to the delivery room in! He was my hero that night! I will never forget you! Enjoy your days of relaxation!

Grace says: January 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Dr. Acosta delivered our last child in 2004. He came in on his day off to get me started on petocin. He was so good at listening and really helped me through a later pregnancy (I was 37). Congratulations on your retirement, Dr. Acosta!

Tamara Cordova says: January 5, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Dr Acosta delivered my two boys in 2002 & 2006. He also delivered my nephew five Years ago. He had always mad me feel comfortable and in control of my health.
Because I moved I have not seen him in 6 years. But I will never forget him and all he has done. Thank you!

Tamara Cordova (Palmbach)

Char says: January 5, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Dr. Acosta!
You have been such a blessing in my life! I am forever grateful for your care through all of my pregnancies! I wish you could deliver my grand babies! May you, your wife and family enjoy a retirement filled with love, good health and great happiness! I will miss you!!!

Kelly O'Shea says: January 6, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Dr. Acosta,

It’s rare to find a doctor with a great sense of humor, and so much compassion for his patients. I found that in you – Thank you! May God shine down upon you and your family during your retirement years! God Bless You!

Andy says: January 7, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Dr. Acosta gave us second opinion after another doctor told us we would have to live with miscarriages. Dr Acosta’s compassion and “matter of fact” advice gave us our miracle daughter. We are forever grateful for having that chance meeting with him. Enjoy retirement Dr. And thank you.

lori Hanke says: January 8, 2017 at 1:55 pm

I am so happy for Dr. Acosta and his decision to retire and enjoy time with his family. It has been well deserved!! It has been an honor for me to have had him as my physician. I can only hope to find someone to replace him. That is going to be hard!!! Sincerely, thank you for everything you have done. You, in essence, saved my life. ENJOY!!!!!

karen brunkey says: February 7, 2017 at 8:35 am

Congratulations on your retirement. I so hope you are enjoying your, Health, Family and Free time. You ARE still the best doctor in my book, our journey started 28 years ago, in that time you delivered so much happiness you our family, the biggest thing was your TOTAL concern and the BEST bedside manor with my issue in 2015, still “GOOD TO GO.” Take Care-and Thank you.