Why Living a Healthy and Active Lifestyle is so Important and Tips on How to Make it Happen
By: Dr. Kennedy
The key to a healthy and active lifestyle can sometimes be difficult with a busy life. However, it is possible with a little bit of creativity. Read on for a few quick and easy tips for living a healthier and active lifestyle everyday.
- Make exercise simple: Exercise with a friend who can help hold you accountable. Not only is it easier to stay motivated with a friend, but it creates a sense of companionship, as well. Take a walk outside, go to a yoga class or do an at-home workout.
- Have fun: Do something that doesn’t feel like exercise such as Zumba, swimming, dancing or playing on the playground. These activities keep you active and are actually fun!
- Eat your vegetables: Adding 5 servings of vegetables to your diet helps reduce the risk of breast, cervical and ovarian cancer due to the nutrients they provide your body. If you are having trouble adding these to your diet, try packing a small snack of vegetables that you can take on the go with you.
- Get a good night sleep: Getting a good night sleep is important in your daily life. If you are having trouble in this area, try techniques like meditation, yoga, drinking chamomile tea or putting your phone away before bed. This will help ease your mind and help you get to sleep faster.
- Keep hydrated: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day is the best source of fluid to keep the body functioning at its best. For women, it is recommended to drink around 70 ounces or 9 cups of water per
- Take it slow: If you haven’t been active, take it slow. Start with 5-10 minutes per day and gradually increase the length of your activity with a goal of 30 minutes per day over time.
- Break it up: Your goal is 30 minutes per day, but 3 10-minute sessions are just as good as one longer session.
- Strength training with light weights: This type of exercise strengthens your muscles and bones, as well as improves balance and coordination. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis and prevents falls.
- Keep it cheap: You do not need to spend a lot to get a great workout. Consider at-home workouts such as walking, dancing or jumping rope. At-home workout videos can also be checked out for free from your local library!
- Stretching: The importance of proper warm up and stretching before any workout cannot be stressed enough. Stretching decreases pain, improves flexibility and reduces risk of injury.
Incorporating these activities and choices throughout your everyday life will increase your energy, mental focus and life expectancy. It also will reduce the risk of illness or diseases such as heart attacks, high blood pressure and stress-induced strokes. If you have additional questions regarding how to keep a healthy lifestyle, please call Women’s Health Specialists to schedule an appointment at (920)749-4000.